CRCL: Pointe-au-Chien Community Reef #2 Deployment (Volunteer Opportunity)
Pointe-au-Chien Community Reef #2 Deployment
Saturday, September 24
10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
The Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana (CRCL) is excited to have you join us in Montegut, LA! Launched in June 2014, CRCL’s Oyster Shell Recycling Program recycles shell from participating New Orleans-based restaurants and uses that shell to restore oyster reefs and shoreline habitat across Coastal Louisiana. In 2019, CRCL, in partnership with the Pointe-au-Chien Indian Tribe, completed the construction of the Pointe-au-Chien Community Reef to protect the integrity of a historic mound site from further erosion. We are excited to be deploying a second reef, which will be protecting a mound complex with several sacred mound sites from wave action and erosion. Parking and registration will occur at the Pointe-au-Chien Indian Tribal Community Center. Volunteers will load bagged oyster shells onto trailers, trucks, and boats at the Pointe-au-Chien Indian Tribal Community Center to facilitate on-the-water deployment by Pointe-au-Chien community members and staff. Volunteers will be taking a boat ride (~10mins) from the community center to the project site to deploy the bags of oyster shells.
- Volunteers are invited but not required to get into the water to construct the reef. We recommend that volunteers prepare to get wet and muddy and bring a change of clothes. A hose is available at the launch site.
- Everyone must sign our release and waiver of rights upon registration.
- Directions and additional details will be provided to registered volunteers via e-mail a few days prior to the event. If you do not receive event details by 24 hours prior to the event, check your spam folder, if still not received, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are interested in carpooling, please post to our carpool board. If you can offer a ride, please include the capacity of your vehicle, departure and return times, and where you are driving from. Please carpool at your own risk and discretion.
- Volunteer check-in will be from 9:30 to 10:00 am.
- Please note the minimum age for volunteers is 16. No one under 16 will be allowed to participate in any capacity, sorry, no exceptions. Minors are required to have a waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian and must be accompanied by an adult.
- Please note that moving shell can be a strenuous physical activity.
- Snacks, lunch, water, sports drinks, and all necessary equipment (including work gloves) will be provided to volunteers. Please bring a reusable water bottle to cut down on plastic waste. CRCL provides waterproof boots on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Volunteers will receive a free CRCL t-shirt as a thank you for your hard work!
In an effort to reduce risks associated with in-person gatherings, volunteers are strongly encouraged to take a COVID-19 test before and after all CRCL volunteer events. If you are experiencing any signs of illness, please stay home. CRCL will provide PPE, hand sanitizer, and handwashing stations for use throughout the event. For the safety of CRCL staff and volunteers, please contact CRCL immediately if you test positive following a volunteer event so that we can implement contact tracing protocol.
Volunteering on our coast is a wonderful way to spend a day and we would like to ensure that everyone gets a chance to have a great experience. We require that all volunteers please register to let us know if you plan to attend.
- If any additional members of your family/friends are attending, then they must also register.
- If, after registering, you find you are unable to attend, please notify us of your cancellation.
- If the event registration is full, you can be added to a waiting list. Please email email@example.com.
- If you’d like to bring a group to volunteer, please let us know, and we’ll try our best to accommodate you.
For inquiries about any of the above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.